Student Visa and Health Insurance

Visa Requirements

All students enrolled at the American University in Switzerland will be granted a student residency permit which allows them to legally live in Switzerland. The permit can further be used by students to discover Europe.

Our Immigration Advisory Service is there to answer any questions you have about visas and student permits. Should you require help, we can also assist you with the application process through the Embassy of Switzerland in your country. Please note that in periods of high demand visas may sometimes take longer to issue.

Make sure you have all the necessary documents submitted with your application and should you have any queries our team is here to help.

What you need

The degree starts with five fundamental courses. These are followed by core courses that give students a solid grasp of the fundamentals of business, such as finance, economics, marketing and entrepreneurship. Students can select topical courses to tailor their degree.

You must complete and take the following documents to the visa department of your nearest Swiss embassy:

  • Application Form (Visa D)
  • Valid passport (plus one copy)
  • Acceptance letter of enrolment at AUS
  • Study plan
  • “Written undertaking” (stating that the student will leave Switzerland at the end of studies)
  • CV / resume
  • A signed letter of motivation stating both the reason for studying in Switzerland and detailing your post-study plans
  • Bank certificate indicating that the student has an active account with sufficient funds
  • Six passport photos (35mm x 45mm)

Start your proceedings as soon as possible as administrators will need time to process your request for a visa.

Once in Switzerland, AUS will assist and inform you about the next steps regarding your residence permit.

Contact Us

Working in Switzerland

Non-EU citizens are not allowed to work on a student visa in Switzerland.

[cta-box id=”49″ size=”large”]

Health Insurance

Having Swiss health insurance is mandatory for all people living in Switzerland and AUS has a partner company that provides students with the latest solutions in terms of health and accident insurance.

Student insurance starts at CHF1,300 per year and may vary depending on your needs.

Should students already be in possession of international insurance they will have to contact the administration team for further assistance and assure the validity in Switzerland.


Although Switzerland is relatively small in size there are four (4) national languages: German, French, Italian and Romansh.

The official language in Canton de Vaud is French however most citizens also speak English.